July 12th 2020

SYMPATHY - Mary Thorpe R.I.P.
Mary Thorpe by Louise Grafton-Jones (niece) read at her graveside in St. Abban's Cemetery.
Mary was a quiet and reserved woman; never made a fuss. She was easy going with a great sense of humour!
Mary was born in Newtown, Adamstown and went to school in Adamstown. She followed her sisters Peggy and Joan to
London in the late 60's. She worked as a waitress in a hotel with them, and then on to a pharmaceutical company (Harker Stagg) before moving on to another pharmaceutical company - Unichem, where she worked for 17 years - with Joan. During this time myself and Peter both worked there.
It was here I remember her whizzing around the aisles, she was known for her speed at picking and packing, and being able to return items back to the shelves from memory.
After being made redundant, during a time of recession, Mary became a lady of leisure. She enjoyed visiting charity shops, word searches and reading. She wouldn't go a week without her copy of Woman and Woman's Own. She would swap piles of magazines with Peggy and Joan, She enjoyed travelling in her early days to Tunisia, Malta and Turkey, more lately twice to New York, climbing the hundreds of steps to the top of St. Peter's Basilica as part of a trip to Rome, and lastly two trips to Las Vegas - where she particularly enjoyed the slot machines, cocktails and lots of Bailey's Coffee to keep her going from slot to slot!
Mary enjoyed house sitting when we went away, we particularly liked it, as we would always come back to a sparkling clean house! I think a lot of us here today would always remember Mary keeping herself busy, either sweeping the floors or by the sink clearing those dishes.
After over 40 years in London, Mary wanted to return home, and she got her wish, returning back in October 2019. She will be sadly missed by us all: sisters Joan & Kathleen, brothers Johnny, Brian, Aidan, Gerard, Michael & Kevin, and their partners, nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her brother Peter and sister Peggy.
Mary was laid to rest in St. Abban's Cemetry following a private family funeral on Friday 26th June 2020.
Our deepest sympathy to all the Thorpe family.
May her gentle soul rest in peace.
 
SYMPATHY
We also offer our sympathy to Ben Cleary, Woodview Drive and all the family, on the death of his brother James (Jim), Neville St. New Ross on Friday 3rd July.
Jim was laid to rest in St. Stephen's Cemetery, New Ross on Monday last following a private family funeral.
May he rest in peace.
 
We offer our condolences to Canon Noel Hartley on the death of his sister Joan Power, Summertown, Broadway. Our sympathy to all her family also.
May she rest in peace.
 
SYMPATHY
We extend our condolences to the family of the late Sam Deacon, Ivymas Cottage, Knockmore, Caim who died on Sat 27th June. Sam was well known in the Adamstown area, he regularly attended the Friday night Card Game in the Community Centre. His funeral service and burial took place on 29th June in Killengney. RIP.
 
MIN RYAN PARK - KILEENS, WEXFORD
(The People Newspaper)
(The new €4 million Min Ryan Park at Kileens opens to the public. The 18-acre site has really taken shape and is warmly welcome by the people of Wexford. Features in the park include a walking/running track; picnic areas; an impressive playground; an amphitheatre designed to host summer concerts, a memorial garden for those who lost their lives in World War 11; and the planned addition of a skate park, on which work is due to get started before the end of the year. The contribution of Richard Mulcahy and his family towards the project is significant. He donated €200,000 to the project which bears the name of his grand mother, Min Ryan, a native of Tomcoole and a seminal figure in the foundation of the state.)
Mary Josephine (Min) Ryan was daughter of John Ryan and Eliza Sutton. She was sister of Phyllis O'Kelly, wife of Seán T. O'Kelly who later became Úachtarán na hEireann, succeeding Douglas Hyde.
She was active an active member of Cumann na mBan, and became the honorary secretary of its executive committee. She acted as dispatch rider in Enniscorthy in the days leading up to the Rising, then went to serve at the G.P.O and Jacob's factory in Dublin.
She was engaged to Seán Mac Diarmada who was executed for his role in the Rising. She later married General Richard Mulcahy, who went on to become commander-in-chief of the Irish Army. She died on April 11th 1977 aged 92.
She was aunt of the late Evelyn Cullen, Barrack's Road
 
MOST POPULAR HYMN IN HISTORY
Amazing Grace. - Sean Ryan, St. Martin's Magazine
The song - Amazing Grace - was written by slave trader John Newton after his boat, the 'Greyhound' managed to limp onto the shores of Lough Swilly in Donegal after a violent storm in 1748 and almost sank. Newtown awoke in the middle of the night and finally called out to God as the ship filled with water. It was this experience which he later marked as the beginnings of his conversion to Evangelical Christianity. As the ship sailed home, Newton began to read the Bible and other religious literature. By the time he reached Britain, he had accepted the doctrines of Evangelical Christianity. The date was March 10th, 1748, an anniversary he marked for the rest of his life. From that point on, he avoided profanity, gambling, and drinking. Although he continued to work in the slave trade, he gained a considerable amount of sympathy for the slaves. Newton later found God on a full time basis and wrote the song about his experiences in Co. Donegal and to chart his spiritual journey, which began with his amazing escape from death. In the late 1750's he began to study theology and in 1764 he was ordained into the Church of England. The hymn is used at services of different Christian denominations throughout the world.
 
CHURCH NOTICES
IN MEMORIAM
Sat July 11th - 7.30pm - Eamonn and Martin Furlong (A)
 
PROPAGATION OF THE FAITH COLLECTION
Fr. Patrick Cushen P.P., Ferns wishes to acknowledge and thank Adamstown Parish for the Mission Sunday collection 2019 of €475.00. This money goes towards helping in promoting the Missionary work of the Church.
The total collection in the Diocese of Ferns was €34,905.08
 
TRÓCAIRE LENTEN APPEAL
Local Trócaire representative Fr. John Carroll said - "it is estimated that c.4.5m to 5m. Euros remains in Trócaire Boxes in homes in Ireland at present" If you have a Trócaire Box at home, please return it - no matter how small donations are - every euro counts.
 
Fr Nolan would like to thank all those who returned their weekly envelopes last weekend. If you would like an envelope, please contact Fr. Nolan.
 
PRAYER FOR THE WEEK
Past, Present and to Come
God of our past,
We thank you for the beauties of our world
for our lives, our families
and opportunities we have been given.
We thank you for your loving kindness
which has worked wonders
now half-forgotten.
God of our present,
give to us a loving heart
a gentle spirit and a determined will.
Strengthen what is weak,
bring confidence where there is doubt
and hope to our despair.
God of our future,
God of hope and joy
may we be pathfinders of our generation,
messengers of Your word
enlighten our day ahead,
Be with us on our way to the end. Amen.
 
DID YOU KNOW? (Ireland's Own)
Ireland's tallest Round Tower is the O'Connell Tower in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin. It was built in 1855 to commemorate the great Daniel O'Connell.
It is over 180ft tall with a seven-feet-high cross on top. If you can climb the 198 steps, you'll be able to see views of Dublin, Wicklow, Meath and the Irish Sea.
ADAMSTOWN G.A.A. THANKS
The club would like to express their gratitude to Cllr. Pat Barden on his recent generous allocation of funds to the club under the New Ross Municipal District Grant.
 
LOOKING BACK - GAA IN ADAMSTOWN
One year ago this weekend on July 11th & 12th St. Abban's GAA Club opened their new pitch, one year later we take a look back at the early years of GAA in Adamstown.
(The People Newspaper Jan 5th 1887)
Adamstown GAA Football Club was established on 28th Dec 1886, when the following officers were appointed; Messrs. James O'Connor (president); H. King (vice president: R. J. White (treasurer); J. Jordan (secretary); John Mythen, Laurence Barron (umpires); Philip Doyle (referee). The affiliation fee of ten shillings has been forwarded to the County Wexford Executive. The members made their first debut on New Year's Day, in a field kindly given to the club by Mr. Downes. There was an hour's vigorous practice in the afternoon. The members kicked with a dash and determination that augurs well for their excellence in the game. After play being over they adjourned to their room, when sixteen members were enrolled. The people of the locality are very enthusiastic about it, and are rushing forward with their admission fee. The committee expect that the Carrigbyrne and Raheen districts will come to the front at once. Meetings will be held on every Sunday after practice for the admission of members. It is expected that after Sunday's practice we will be able to tackle some of the adjacent clubs.
The first recorded Gaelic game in Adamstown was in 1889, although the club itself was not formed until 1923.
It is believed that the first Adamstown man to represent Wexford in Croke Park was Bill Whelan, he played for Adamstown 1916-1919
(The following is taken from The Echo 29/03/2006)
It is amazing to record that Adamstown won eleven county senior hurling championships, including several in succession. Having won junior in 1925, they won senior in 1926, '27, (and also added a minor title), minor in 1928, junior in 1929, senior in 1931, '32, '33, beaten by 1 point in '34; and won again in 1935, '36, and '37. No hurling finals were played in 1938 but Adamstown won the county shield and returned to winning ways at senior level in 1940, '41, and '1942. It was an extraordinary era for the club.
(New Ross Standard - 16the Aug 2000)
The golden era of football began in 1934 when the local side won their first Junior title and this was followed by an amazing three-in-a-row series of hurling wins. Besides Senior hurling and football the club has won countless Junior and Intermediate titles. In terms of Minor hurling, the first successes were recorded in 1927 & 1928. Forty years later in 1968, Adamstown won a Rackard League double in hurling and football.
 
WHEEL CHAIR SPACES IN ST. ABBAN'S CHURCH
Please note that wheelchair access spaces are provided at the back of St. Abban's Church at the right and left hand sides. Please leave these spaces free for wheelchair users